Friday, March 8, 2013

Atlantic 10

VCU 24-6 (12-3) #26 RPI. Plays this vaunted HAVOC that primarily works at home or against the "Little Sisters of the Poor". Most pundits have them around a #6 seed and I'm still trying to figure out a reason why besides "They're playing well!" because I can't think of any. I can't honestly believe anyone thinks that their resume of wins over Memphis,Belmont and Butler translates into a #6 seed,which is why I've had them hovering around a #10 seed and reluctantly moved them to an #8 seed in my latest updates. Couldn't beat St.Louis or Lasalle and probably won't win at Temple this weekend either. Perhaps they'll pick up some quality wins in the A10 Tournament.

Saint Louis 23-6 (12-3) #32 RPI. Pretty good team. I think they blew their wad at a Top 5 protected seed with the loss to Xavier who I'll also talk about later. When you actually look at their resume of wins VCU,Butler x2 and New Mexico it's good,but not over the top. They finish with Lasalle and a win there would be nice coupled with a win against another A10 quality foe and they probably resolidify their Top 5 seeding.

LaSalle 21-7 {11-4) #39 RPI. I'll admit I haven't watched any Explorer basketball this year,but I'm sure it's a feel good story since I can't remember the last time they went to the NCAA Tournament. Wins over Butler,VCU isn't much,but if the Villanova win holds up I think they're in good shape. Beating St.Louis and a good showing in Brooklyn wouldn't hurt either.

Butler 23-7 (10-5) #22 RPI. Kind of just plodding along in the Conference besides beating Temple. But when you beat N.Carolina,Marquette,Indiana and Gonzaga out of Conference then who cares right? The only debate now is what seed they'll get and I imagine if they finish strong probably somewhere in the 4-6 range.

Temple 22-8 (10-5) #40 RPI. Why Lunardi has them on the "First Four" line is kind of odd because they have a better profile than VCU and Lasalle while comparable to Saint Louis. Wins over Saint Louis,Lasalle,Syracuse and Villanova assuming that one holds up. Finish off VCU to erase any doubt I guess.

Xavier 17-12 (9-6) #85 RPI. Have to mention em at this point considering they have more top 50 wins {All of em against tourney teams} than any of the A10 teams I've already mentioned other than Butler. Their problem is all those wins came at home against Butler,Temple,Lasalle,Memphis and Saint Louis. This is where the story begins at a little place called Hinkle Fieldhouse. Win that game and they have a profile that trumps Virginia with their shopping cart full of + 100 RPI losses.

No comments:

Post a Comment