Monday, March 18, 2013

The scores are out and after doing probably alot of homework compared to others doing the brackets I'm somewhat pleased and somewhat peeved at the same time.

I did manage to hit all 68 teams,which for most wasn't that hard this year. Hit 3 of the 4 last 4 in including the correct matchup of Saint Marys and Middle Tennessee,but I lost some points to no fault of my own.

The Selection Committee didn't use the same set of "Criteria" for all the teams. Some got a certain seed because of RPI,some got a certain seed because of who they beat and some got a certain seed because of WHAT THEY MIGHT DO IN THE TOURNAMENT! After hours of actual study for every team here's why I'm a bit peeved.

The RPI teams.

Marquette was obviously slotted into the final #3 seed. Did they have enough quality wins to get here? Probably,but I factored in their BET Quarterfinal loss to Notre Dame,while obviously the committee didn't care,which considering other teams towards the top lines WERE bracketed based on Conference Tournaments is misleading.They beat Wisconsin so obviously that was factored in and more important. Lost a point

Wisconsin could have been viewed several different ways. I viewed them as a team that had so many quality wins that based on that they could have been a #1 or #2 seed.But because of RPI,who they lost to and their style of play they were demoted. Lost 1 point

Florida? C'mon man! This team is the biggest overhyped pile of hot garbage i've ever seen. An inflated RPI and living off of early season wins against Wisconsin and Marquette. Of their 26 wins they only have 5 wins against TOURNAMENT TEAMS and lost to Ole Miss in the SEC Final. OLE MISS for christs sake! I was told later they would be a #3 regardless of the SEC Final result. Good god. Lost 2 points

Then there's the teams towards the top where rather than follow everyone else I studied them and all their computer numbers,great wins,RPI,SOS and seeded accordingly.

New Mexico,Duke,Gonzaga,Georgetown,Kansas State,Saint Louis. How does the #1 RPI and #1 SOS with one of the Top 4 schedules/resumes not get a #1 in Duke? Really stunned they did that. Same with New Mexico sporting a #2 RPI and #4 SOS with enough quality wins to warrant a #2 seed and especially so if Gonzaga is a #1 with a less quality resume. Georgetown simply didn't impress me and they lost in the BET Semifinals. K-State somewhat similar loses in the B12 FINAL who beat Florida,but that's not good enough LOL. Saint Louis played in the A10 so I really didn't see them getting a #4 seed considering there's 16 teams better than them. Unreal. Lost 8 points



Then I made my biggest gaffe with the following teams. VCU,Memphis,Creighton and Wichita State.

VCU profile-Florida Gulf Coast,Belmont,Memphis and Butler

Memphis profile-Nothing

Creighton profile-Wisconsin,Akron,Wichita x2. Guess that Akron win looks better now eh LOL. How about the inexcusable losses? Indiana State,Northern Iowa,Drake and Illinois State. Hmm.

Wichita profile-VCU,Creighton?  Bad losses- Evansville twice {Once on Senior Night} Indiana State and Northern Iowa.

I ended up scoring 0 points with these 4 teams because I thought so little of them. Easily lost 5-7 points with this group.

I still wouldn't have been at the top,but I would have been within 5-7 points of the top if the same "Criteria" was used for most all the teams and it clearly wasn't. Nobody got Oregon right LOL. I will say I was happy with the middle of the bracket making up some of the gaffes with the Illinois,Minnesota and Temple picks that not alot of others got right. Overall I'll give myself a Year 1 grade of an A for the C-/D+ bracket grade I'll probably get,which for the most part was out of my hands.

Next year I'll give more credence to the Conference affiliation of the Committee Chairman as that Conference's teams obviously get favorable seeding.Also certain teams that consistently get overvalued year after year like a Florida and then there's the RPI. It played a huge part where I seeded teams,but I also looked at the entire body of work and while the committee can say that the RPI is only a tool they clearly seeded some teams solely based off of a high RPI. Year 2 should be easier after studying this years bracket. Overall good job to all in the Matrix! Thanks again for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment